Projek Lintasan Kota Holdings Sdn Bhd (Prolintas), the highway concessionaire, said in a statement that it is expected to take 2 weeks to remove the collapsed gantry crane structure and carry out repairs.
The statement follows a gantry crane accident that happened at the Sungai Besi-Ulu Kelang Elevated Expressway (SUKE) in Alam Damai construction site last week. The accident killed 3 Chinese national workers and heavily injured a driver of a passing Perodua Bezza.
Also read: LLM orders SUKE to open alternative routes and check all gantries
According to the statement, Prolintas has received approval from the Occupational Safety and Health Department (DOSH). Work has already begun to remove the gantry crane structure and repairs at the construction site on Saturday (March 27).
Prolintas has broken the process into 2 phases. The first stage will be stabilising the beam structure of the highway. Prolintas said that the process is already 60 percent done at the time of their statement.
Also read: 3 killed in SUKE construction crane collapse along Alam Damai
Once they have stabilised the structure, they will then move on to relocate the gantry crane. Both phases are expected to take 2 weeks to complete.
The process is complicated as there are many aspects to take into consideration such as technical process, working methods, weather, the safety of construction workers and nearby residents, as well as the current structural conditions.
Also read: SUKE incident: Works Minister questions if SOP was followed
SUKE will work with professional consulting engineers as well as the authorities such as the Malaysian Highway Authority (LLM), DOSH, and the Construction Industry Development Board to safely complete the removal works.